Thursday, April 10, 2008

Fruit Financiers

I was going to tempt you with another “Sweet Melissa” recipe but I was unable to photograph it. Do not worry I will be baking it again very soon and photographs will be available.

One of things I really enjoy baking is individual desserts. I do not know if it’s the concept of receiving my very own dessert or the fact that it is a miniature version of a larger dessert. Whatever the reason I just love the individuality of a personal dessert.

I made these the other day for my friend Lucy. We meet once a week for coffee and I usually provide the dessert. She is one of my dear friends and I treasure the hour here and there that we can get together to catch up.

Back to the financiers for a moment, you can use just about any type of berry with the recipe. Heck even frozen, I used organic frozen raspberries this time around. The recipe also called for a half cup of almonds I only sprinkled a few. Again, my personal preference, but you can sprinkle as much you like. The financier is a magnificent blend of a cake and cookie. It also provides a great excuse to purchase tiny tart pans.

Fruit Financiers
From Perfect Cakes by Nick Malgieri


¾ cup of ground almonds
¾ cup of AP flour
¾ cup of sugar
¼ teaspoon of salt
Grated zest of one lemon
6 tablespoons of butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon rum
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3 large egg whites
1 pint raspberries
½ cup sliced almonds

Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Butter and flour nine 4-inch tart pans.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix the almonds, flour, sugar, lemon zest, and salt with the paddle until combined. Add the butter and continue beating for 2 minutes.

Beat the rum and vanilla into the egg whites, and then add to the butter/flour mixture in two additions beating for 2 minutes after each addition. (Scrape down the sides of the bowl as well.)

Fill each pan with ¼ cup of batter. Sprinkle with berries and almonds.

Bake for 35 minutes. Un-mold and serve plain or with whipped cream, fruit sauce or fruit compote.

25 comments:

Maria♥ said...

Gigi these looks absolutely delish! And your friend is very lucky to have a friend who can bake!

Maria
x

Deborah said...

I have never had a financier, much less made them, but I have seen so many lovely recipes for them lately. This looks so perfect! I'll have to give them a try.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

no worries - those financiers are tempting enough!! yum!! your friend Lucy is awfully lucky to receive those treats from you :0)

Michelle H said...

Those look amazing. I am going to book mark this recipe. :o)

Annemarie said...

I love individual desserts, too. Possible because it's a bit of portion control for me, for once. :)

test it comm said...

I really like making desserts as individual servings. Those financiers look good.

Anonymous said...

I love individual desserts! These financiers look lovely.

Silvia - Magnolia Wedding Planner said...

Gigi they looks so fantastic and should be sooo good!
I'm envious of your friends..they can eat all your wonderful cakes!!
Great!
Silvia

Mari said...

Beautiful presentation, Gigi, these look great!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

They look so sophisticated! :P

Patricia Scarpin said...

I have never made nor tried financiers, Gigi - these are mouthwatering!

Katie said...

What a lovely way to spend a few hours with a friend - coffee and cake. The finaciers look great, I love all things almondy.

I agree with you that having your own complete dessert always makes it feel more of a treat. Shame I don't have any mini tins - oh well, off to the shops I go :)

Rosie said...

Your financiers look amazing Gigi!! Beautiful presentation and photos. Lucy your friend is awfully lucky!

Rosie x

Mandy said...

I love making individual desserts too. It makes me feel so satisfied having one whole dessert by myself! I am glad that frozen berries work here too!

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful! Individual desserts rock!

By the way, I awarded your blog E for Excellent! =) http://cakebatterandcrumbs.typepad.com/cake_batter_crumbs/2008/04/excellent.html

Anonymous said...

Those look so pretty! I agree with Maria about you... what a great friend to have around :)

grace said...

lucy is a lucky lady! the name "financier" sounds so posh, but i have a feeling i wouldn't be able to act prim and proper whilst eating one. pig-like? yes. lady-like? i think not. :)

Anonymous said...

How lovely, and they sound delicious!

eatme_delicious said...

I've never made or tried financiers! They look yummy. I must save the recipe.

My Sweet & Saucy said...

I love individual desserts too! I don't know what it is, but dessert is just so cute when it is in small, individual portions! The financiers look fantastic!

Peabody said...

One of my favorites. I love the overhead shots of them.

Unknown said...

these all look so incredible! i've never had a financier before but i'll have to try!~

defientchef said...

Financiers are one of the greatest things. I always wonder why they aren't more popular.

Helene said...

I really like his recipe for financiers and you did a wonderful job with these!

Unknown said...

This is the first time I've even heard of a financier, so thanks for introducing them to me :). Your desserts are so lovely and inspiring; I just printed out the recipe for the cinna-spin cookies :D because I loved your muffins!

I'll make these next, what beautiful little desserts. I agree; individual desserts are more fun and cute :D.