Sunday, March 9, 2008

S'mores Cupcake

Hey, hey …it’s Cupcake Hero time! The ingredient for this month is marshmallow. Start baking your marshmallow-inspired cupcakes and send them over to Laurie at Quirky Cupcake. If you need more info, you can find it here.

For me, the ultimate marshmallow dessert is s’mores, but this Cupcake Hero folks. And in order to participate, my s’mores would have to transform themselves into cupcakes.

I found a recipe for a delicate graham cracker cake and one for homemade marshmallow icing. The cake absolutely tastes like a graham cracker, that’s because there is very little flour in the recipe. The cupcakes also don’t rise very much during baking so feel free to fill the liners ¾ full. I didn’t fill them up all they way and they barely reached the top if the liner.

The cupcakes were really good plain, yep plain. I can totally see myself eating them plain with coffee in the morning.

If you decide, “plain” is not your style, then add marshmallow icing and a drizzle of melted chocolate on top. And hold on to your taste buds, because these will be the best s‘mores you‘ve ever had. I can totally envision a s’mores cake in the future. I know you’re dying for the recipes so here they are:

King Arthur's Homemade Marshmallow Icing

For the cupcakes From Nabsico Graham Crackers
1 ½ cups of graham cracker crumbs
½ cup of flour
2 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
½ cup of butter, softened
¾ cup of sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla
¾ cup of milk

In a small bowl combine the crumbs, flour and baking powder; set aside.

Beat the butter and the sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla.

Alternately add flour mixture with milk, beating well after each addition. Divide the batter into two muffin tins lined with 16 cupcake liners total.

Bake at 350F degrees for 22-25 minutes or until done. Cool in pans for 15 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on a wire rack.

42 comments:

CB said...

oh yum! I was hoping that someone would bake a s'mores-cake for CH this month! Great job!
-Clara

LadyCakes said...

YUM
YUM
and
YUM

grace said...

plain? i laugh! give me more icing!! :)

BitterSweet said...

Just gorgeous! And it looks so fluffy and delicious, too.

If only I had saved some of my marshmallows so I could participate in this event...!

Katie said...

These look amazing. I have nevr had a s'more but they sound georgous.

Deborah said...

Oh wow! This is one of the best looking and sounding cupcakes that I've come across!!

Anonymous said...

Ahh you stole my idea ;-) Back to the drawing board for marshmallows and CH! :)

These look absolutely fabulous!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

S'mores in a cupcake? You're brilliant! I love the marshmallow icing.

Cakespy said...

DAMN! Nice entry indeed. I would like to bury my face in these, that marshmallow looks so soft and inviting!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Gigi, these are some sinful cupcakes!!
Homemade marshmallow frosting? Count me in!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Oh, I forgot to tell you to come over to my blog to pick up an award. :-)

Mari said...

I love the idea of a graham cracker cupcake! These look totally yum!

eatme_delicious said...

Ahhh I want this right now!! How delicious.

Rosie said...

A few words to say it all - divine!!

Rosie :)

Megan said...

These look amazing. This will be made sometime this summer. That I know for sure!!! Excellant picture.

test it comm said...

Marshmallow and chocolate cupcakes...mmm... I have not had marshmallows in a long time. Now I am craving them.

slush said...

They look amazing! I am wishing I had graham crackers in the house right now. Very sweet entry Gigi, thanks!

jasmine said...

Oh my goodness--these look so good. Great pictures..

j

Anna said...

We don't have s'mores in Britain but I've heard so much about them that it feels like we do XD. This sounds amazing...

Annemarie said...

Oh Gigi. My word. Everything about this looks fabulous. I do love graham crackers and s'mores are hard to beat. Very, very bookmarked.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Gigi, what a PHENOMENAL cupcake variety!! I've made (and created a recipe for) s'mores muffins, but not cupcakes - your look divine!

Brilynn said...

Oh how I love smores! And the thought of an entire smore cake is wonderful!

Ryley @ That's My Family! said...

Oh man.. do those taste as good as they look? I'm really trying to come up with a unique marshmallow recipe.. but I think my brain is empty!! :)

Alpineberry Mary said...

Very creative! I've been looking for a smores inspired cupcake for an upcoming occasion and I think this will be perfect. :)

Maria♥ said...

OMG these look gorgeous. I want to try the base of this cupcake now, sounds really interesting with the graham crackers ;o)

Maria
x

Mallow said...

I love graham crackers - I have to try these cupcakes!

CB said...

Your cupcake has been chosen for ATC’s Weekly Cupcake Collection! Click the link to see more. Looking forward to your next cupcake creation!

http://tinyurl.com/34tnpr

Half Baked said...

Oh wow your killing me with these cupcakes! They look fabulous:)

Big Boys Oven said...

this is so obviously beautiful, looks like a art! well baked!

Abigail said...

looks yummy! i have to try this as i am currently in a hunt for my sons birthday cupcakes.

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Wow...these look so fun and yummy! Great photos too!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Yum Yum Yummmm!! These look WAY better than the joke of smores cupcakes I made a few months ago with some of my friends. They were so sloppily thrown together.

I'm definitely saving this recipe for next time! :)

T’s Treats said...

THose look wonderful!! S'mores were bound to show up ;)

cakewardrobe said...

Oh my gosh! So much work involved, but the results look fabulous!

Tempered Woman said...

The cupcakes look absolutely gorgeous~ I'm so intrigued by the graham cupcake idea! Great entry!

Anonymous said...

I love s'mores...I bet this is delish!

Christy

liz song mandell said...

holy moly...this looks amazing. my mouth is watering and i feel my fat cells growing just thinking about consuming these delights. :P hahah
thanks for sharing!

AndreaM said...

My batch is in the oven right now. I tried mixing in chocolate chips in 2 ways and we'll see which turn out better. One way mixing the chips evenly throughout the batter. Other way using plain batter and a layer of chips and then more batter. I'll let you know the results in an hour or so!

Nina said...

oh, these looked wonderful, and I had to make them!
so I did!
But i used chocolate chips and another marshmallow frosting, but the bottom cupcake was amazing!
-Nina

sarah said...

Thanks for this recipe! I loved the results: http://syrupandhoney.typepad.com/blog/2009/04/smores-cupcakes.html

Anonymous said...

ok i want 1 how do u make it

Meg said...

Thanks for the graham cracker cupcake recipe! I made some last week and they were DELISH. I used a layer of chocolate ganache on each cupcake and topped them with a different marshmallow frosting (fewer ingredients, which is good for my short attention span!). They were superyummy. This recipe is a keeper. Thanks again, and I hope you find peace in your life with your move, job, etc. Hang in there.